Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Rochester, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a big impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be changed. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Brogan Heating & AC Inc can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Brogan Heating & AC Inc in Rochester a call to get started. Give us a shout at 507-218-0088 or arrange an appointment with us online.