Spring is in the air here in Rochester and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Brogan Heating & AC Inc team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you return to post information about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Brogan Heating & AC Inc in Rochester a call at 507-218-0088.