According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have pests or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to contact Brogan Heating & AC Inc in Rochester about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Brogan Heating & AC Inc. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and switch them out when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Rochester home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Brogan Heating & AC Inc at 507-218-0088 or arrange an appointment online.